S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Stories of Teachers

Old 27-08-20, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Mr WI Muttiah

MR. W.I. MUTTIAH

MEN OF HONOUR

Remembering the 1940?s at S. Thomas? College, Mount Lavinia, brings to mind an outstanding personality of that era ? Wilson I. Muthiah. He was an excellent Scoutmaster, a dedicated teacher and a fine gentleman with a quiet sense of humour. His life centred around his teaching, his scouting and the care of his elderly, sick mother; in the furtherance of these vocational tasks he remained a bachelor throughout. Wilson I. Muthiah (affectionately known as ?WIM?) was Scoutmaster of the then 16th Colombo Scout Troop based at S.T.C. and he cared for and nurtured this troop with great skill and compassion. He left an indelible impression on every young Scout who was fortunate to be a member of the 16th Colombo.

He built up their characters and imparted to them life-skills, self-confidence and the ability to communicate effectively. He achieved these ends both by routine Scouting activities and also through the production of regular concerts and the publication of a Troop magazine. The concerts were always a sell out, featuring humorous skits and lilting musicals, the scripts and scores which he wrote himself. With this background, former Scouts went onto play lead roles in university dramatics and one became an acclaimed international entertainer. A patrol leader became Head Prefect and another became the Editor of the College Magazine. Former Scouts have distinguished themselves in diverse fields as leaders in the medical profession, company directors, successful bankers and a variety of other roles. We all owe Wilson I. Muthiah a deep debt of gratitude.

-A Scout-
Extracted from ?The Old Boy? Magazine ? 31.12.2006
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mr-WI-Muttiah.jpg (91.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image2 (5).jpg (11.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 01-09-20 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-09-20, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Wilson I. Muthiah. He was an excellent Scoutmaster

Date: Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 2:11 PM
Subject: Re: Wilson I. Muthiah. He was an excellent Scoutmaster, a dedicated teacher and a fine gentleman with a quiet sense of humour.
To:

Thanks ,Mr Wilson Muthiah a product of S T C ,was a classic example of all best that College stands for.and has moulded the lives of many Thomians to be the best they could become. Scouts of 16 th Colombo were more fortunate to have associated with him closely and have benefited greatly from this life changing encounter.
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Date: Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 10:36 PM
Subject: Re: Wilson I. Muthiah. He was an excellent Scoutmaster, a dedicated teacher and a fine gentleman with a quiet sense of humour.
To:

Thanks
And to think of it his portrait does not hang in the Scout Room where he spent a good part of his life outside the class room

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by sriyanj; 15-09-20 at 02:23 PM.