S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Prefects' Group of 1969 to 1973

Old 10-05-21, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Asoka Wikramanayake?s contribution to the College in 1956.

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 2:03 AM Asoka Wikramanayake <asokawiks08@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Sriyan for the following e-mail regarding the STC Old Boys.

I was sad to note that some of you have forgotten Asoka Wikramanayake?s contribution to the College in 1956.

Perhaps, Mevan Pieris has forgotten the past performance of the contributions made by me at STC in 1956.

You may be aware, In 1956, I contributed much more than the others that Mevan Pieris had mentioned. To keep the record straight, I won colors in Cricket, Rugby Football, Hockey and Captained the Athletic Team in 1956 that won the 400x400 meters relay by almost 1.5 seconds. JKC Goonasekera did the first lap, Cecil Scharenguivel did the 2nd lap and we were lying second to St.Josephs College, and it was my turn to run the 3rd Lap and beat Dominic who was leading to hand the baton to Ronnie Reid with a lead of about 10 yards. Ronnie kept the lead to break the record by 1.5 seconds. JKC Goonasekera and Cecil Scarenguivel only ran the 400 meters relay.

I ran and won the 100meters and came second in the 200 meters, came second in the Long Jump. Ronnie ran and won the 400 meters in 1956.

In 1956 we won the Jefferson Cup at the Public Schools Meet in 1956.

As mentioned above, J. K . Goonasekera won Colours in Athletics, Cricket and Hockey, and Ronnie Reid won his Colours in Cricket and Athletics in 1956.

Sriyan, trust you will update the above records that had been given to you by my friend Mevan Pieris.

Thanks and be safe my friend.

Asoka Wikramanayake

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: http://www.stc-oldboys.com/showthread.php?t=287076

Date: April 27, 2021 at 2:25:13 AM EDT

To: Nihal De Silva <agndesilva@gmail.com>

Cc: Wijesooriya Manilka <manilkaw@yahoo.com>, "VIjitha (RV) Jayasinghe" <vrj821@yahoo.co.uk>, Ravi Rudra <ravirudra@xtra.co.nz>, Ajit Jayasekera <ajitjay@gmail.com>, "H.P.Wanigatunge" <herbywanigatunga@yahoo.com>, Dhanasiri Daluwatte <lashendra@yahoo.com>, Rabin Mendis <mendis.rabin@gmail.com>, Eddie Appathurai <eddie_appathurai@yahoo.com>, H S M P <mevanpieris@gmail.com>, Shantha Kottegoda <shsk40@hotmail.com>, Jayakumar somasundaram <j.sumsi@gmx.at>, Chrysantha Perera <mecperera@gmail.com>, Ronnie Reid <ronjreid@optusnet.com.au>, Asoka Wikramanayake <asokawiks08@gmail.com>

Dear Nihal,

Some of the athletes during 1963 &1964 are trying to locate Jabid Junaid & Buddadasa Karunanayake. Relevant interesting correspondence could be found through the below links.

http://www.stc-oldboys.com/showthread.php?t=287076

http://www.stc-oldboys.com/showthread.php?t=1847

Where Buddadasa is concerned even his good friends Shantha Kottegoa or Harith Wijeratne have no news of him.

Even athletes like Das Daluwatte have no news about Junaid.

Your assistance in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

With kind regards,

Sriyan