S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Sports

Sports Of Sports and things

Old 13-06-21, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Default RV (Vijitha) Jayasinghe - Champion Athlete 1965-67

Please find attached few precious photos and articles highlighting some of RV (Vijitha) Jayasinghe?s wonderful accomplishments, in his final years of Senior Athletics (U19) from 1965 to 1967.

In 1967 he was best athlete at College in all the track events ranging from 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500 as well as the triple jump. He also anchored the 4x100 and 4x400 relay teams.

He won the Best Performance at the 1967 Colombo South Meet in winning the U19 400m breaking the record of Darrel Liversz.

His jewel in the crown was at the 1967 Pubs - winning the U19 individual 400m (extremely close 2nd in the 800m) and a most memorable victory in the 4x400m which is regarded as one of the finest relay laps. Getting the baton 3rd (about 20m behind) Viji scorched the field to win by 5m thus helping STC to regain the Tarbat.

Ajit Jayasekera who captained the Public Schools Champions (both in 1967 & 68) recalled Viji?s run in the 4x400m as follows:

?This was the greatest run I saw in my Pubs career. Our 4 x 400 team was, in running order, Buddhadasa Karunanayake, Hasitha Kannangara, Self and Viji. We had to get at least the 3rd place in this event, to win the Tarbat. When I handed the baton to Viji, two other runners were way ahead and if I am not mistaken, one of them was Kosala Sahabandu of Mahinda College who later became an Asian Games Gold medalist in Teheran 1974. Yes, Viji scorched the track and beat them before he took the final turn. Having handed over the baton positioned third, I was, in a way happy that we would win the Pubs, but this was a huge bonus. Not only did Viji win the event and the Tarbat for College, but we got Pubs colours with that timing!?

Attached

STC Team Photos ? 1965 (Seniors), 1966 (Seniors), 1967 (Seniors & Juniors)
2xPhotos of Viji in his prime
Paper cuttings ?
1965 Dual Meet with Trinity
1965 Colombo South Zonal Meet
1967 Dual Meet with Trinity (2 articles)
1967 Colombo South Zonal Meet
1967 Pubs (3 articles)
An excerpt from an article written by Manilka Wijesooriya
2xPhotos of Viji ? honoured as Chief Guest at the Lower School Athletics Meet in 2001.

If any of you have any further articles, photos or memories from the 1965-67 period kindly share with me.

Best Wishes

Ravi

Ravi Rudra

Hi Viji,
I too must add that I was fortunate to run the 4 x 100 relay in 1967 with a legend like you to do the last lap. Unfortunately Chris & I messed the baton change by dropping the baton after the first lap. If not may be we would have certainly won adding to your trophies. I missed out on Athletics colors due to that mishap. Late Hasitha was in lap 3. Well done my friend you were actually a legend at STC & I am proud to have run with you.
Azam

16 Attachments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VJ 1 Ath (003).jpg (92.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg VJ 2 Ath (003).jpg (133.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 1966 Athletics grp photo - Copy (002).jpg (57.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 1967 July Dual Meet STC v Trinity.jpg (536.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 1967 Dual Meet Trinity 1967 (C).jpg (187.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 1965 Colombo South Meet.jpg (114.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1965 STC v Trinity Dual meet.jpg (186.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg STC Athlectics Team 1967.jpg (525.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (2).jpg (56.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1967 Pubs - article 1.jpg (153.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 1967 Pubs - article 2.jpg (203.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 1967 Pubs - article 3.jpg (560.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg download.jpg (74.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg RVJ - STC Lower School Athletic meet 01.jpg (138.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg RVJ - STC Lower School Athletic meet 02.jpg (161.4 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 13-06-21 at 08:49 PM.
Old 13-06-21, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Here are the 1966 & 67 Athletics Team Photos with the names.

Here are the 1966 & 67 Athletics Team Photos with the names.

Ajit please confirm if the names highlighted in yellow in the ?67 team are correct.

One person possibly missing from the 1967 photo is GD (Donald) Perera who did the U16 javelin (he kindly lent me his spikes in 1967 & 68 for my events).

Is anyone in touch with Donald?

Ravi
Subject: RE: RV (Vijitha) Jayasinghe - Champion Athlete 1965-67

I should have included the following comments by Viji to some of my questions:

“Soon after 1967 Pubs Brookie told me the Sri Lankan Schools Athletic Team would be touring India shortly and I would be Captaining the Team. I was really fit n in full form. See my bad luck the meet was postponed to Feb. 1968 and I could not go as I was overage. I understand a Royalist led the team.

Mr. Donald Speldawinde old Thomian (father of Kelvin & Jerome) who was the Governor for Galle had boasted that Sahabandu would beat me in the 400 mtrs event. Ajit J knows the full story.

I am happy that Sahabandu had done quite well later and run for Sri Lanka and performed well.

After the Pubs our cricket team went to Galle to play against Richmond. There was a dinner at the Galle Esplanade, M.r Speldewinde and Mr. W Dahanayake both were there, and they Congratulated me on my performance.

Yes I ran the 800 Mtrs and came a very close second at Pubs (1967), it was like a dead heat, judges took time to decide.

I also broke the Hop Step n Jump record at the dual meet with Trinity in Kandy. I did not practice at all I just went and jumped. Now I feel I should have concentrated on that event n could have done well.

At the Group meet too with just 2 jumps I came 2nd. On both occasions I beat our College no 1 jumper Padmanathan.

Actually I should have also concentrated and practiced for the Hop Step n Jump event. Brookie was not keen about it and I did not get the go ahead,

Since I was taking part in the 400 mtrs, 800 mtrs, 4 x 100 n 4 x 400, both relays I was doing the last lap.

In 1967 Hon. Dudley Senanayake was the Chief Guest at the Public Schools meet.

I was standing at the winners Podium, Hon. Dudley Senanayake shook hands and gave away the Certificates . It was quite a proud and memorable moment for me.” – Vijitha Jayasinghe

Ravi Rudra

1966 Athletics Team (Seniors)

Front: Mr. Brookie C. D?Silva (Coach), RV (Vijitha) Jayasinghe (Captain), The Warden (Rev. Selvaratnam), Manilka Wijesooriya, Sunil Peiris

Back: Hasitha Kannagara, Buddadsa Karunanayke, John (Tiny) Reid, Ajit Jayasekera, Ridley Fernando, Shanta Kottegoda

Absent: Gundu Shanmugabalasuriya

1967 Athletics Team (Seniors & Juniors)

Back Row: Yuvraj Sivalingam, Jaya Rudra, Sunil Wijeratne, Ajita Rajendra, JLC (Laksen) Salgado, M. Gunasekera, CM Gunaratne, Buddadsa Karunanayke, Azam Hameed, Dissanayake, J Attygalle.

Front Row: Mr. Brookie C. D?Silva (Coach), RV (Vijitha) Jayasinghe, Ajit Jayasekera (Captain), The Warden (Rev. Selvaratnam), Hasitha Kannagara, M. Pathmaperuma, Mr. E.C.K.Abeysekera (Master-in-charge).

On The Ground: Rajpal Samarasinhe, Ravi Rudra, Jerome Speldewinde, Kelvin Speldewinde, Chulla Warusavitarne.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966 Athletics grp photo - Copy (002).jpg (57.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg STC Athlectics Team 1967.jpg (525.9 KB, 2 views)