S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Prefects' Group of 1969 to 1973

Old 14-11-20, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Rajkumar Renganathan?s ?advice to my younger self? | Daily FT

http://www.ft.lk/front-page/Rajkumar...mupVRxVFPcpjRg

Rajkumar Renganathan?s ?advice to my younger self?
Tuesday, 15 September 2020 00:32 - - 730

Rajkumar Renganathan - Pic by Lasantha Kumara

While CEOs and leaders focus on the future, we?re asking them to pause, reflect on the past, and share the single-most important lesson they have learned.

Our lives and careers are works-in-progress, and we will always learn more in the future than we know now, but what insights could our younger selves - and other aspiring leaders

- embrace and act

on right now to live

a more positive,

productive, and

empowered life?

Today, Michel

Rajkumar Renganathan, Chairman of Ceylinco Life, what one piece of advice he would give his younger self if he could travel back in time

Advice to my younger self and aspiring leaders: Always stay true to yourself, your faith and your principles. If your boss asks you to do something that goes against your fundamentals, be polite but refuse. Whatever the pressures ? stand by your beliefs.

The biggest challenge I faced was the collapse of the Ceylinco Group and the Golden Key Credit Card Company. Having seen the manner in which Golden Key operated, I knew it would happen sooner rather than later.

I always had differences with the former Chairman on certain issues. I would disagree if I felt something wasn?t right or ethical. When it came to signing documents, I had to be very vigilant. There were also times he made disparaging remarks about me, but I didn?t mind because I had stood by my principles.

As a member of the Ceylinco Group, the reputation I had carefully safeguarded ? sometimes at great cost, and despite the Chairman?s displeasure ? was called into question. However, it wasn?t only my integrity that was at stake, but also that of my colleagues and staff who had worked so hard to build up the Life division of Ceylinco Insurance.

As a Director of Ceylinco Consolidated, my deposits were frozen but I had no fears about going to Court. I represented my case and my deposits were subsequently released. Soon after the collapse of the Ceylinco Group in 2009, we also had to reassure the sales force and staff, which we succeeded in doing. As a result, very few in the agency force or the permanent staff left us.

We visited our customers, appraised them of what had happened and reassured them of our commitment. We took an immediate decision to repay any customer over the counter who asked for their monies, but actually there were very few such requests. Many finance companies in the group fell, but we weathered the storm.

Though we experienced a slight dip in 2009, we continued to grow and retain our market leadership. The very fact that we were one of two companies to survive the collapse of the group sent a clear message to the public: you had to be exceptionally strong to withstand the fall of the Ceylinco Group.

Advice to my younger self and aspiring leaders: No company is perfect, but there will be times you must question your tolerance of dishonesty and what is right and wrong.

It is essential to get your fundamentals right. The three principles I will never compromise are integrity, honesty, and meritocracy.

Honesty and integrity extend far beyond rupees and cents to your every action. It entails speaking the truth, giving credit where it is due, and never compromising your customers? interests while you do the best for your company. If a customer has been misled, we cancel the policy and return their money. We may also say goodbye to the agent. He could be a Million Dollar Round Table member, it?s of no consequence.

Fair play is also essential if you want a meritocracy. People must be selected according to merit. Take the Ceylinco Life team; very few come from leading schools ? they are drawn from different backgrounds but they all share a belief in the fundamental principles of integrity, honesty and meritocracy.

These fundamentals come from your faith, your family and your early days at school. All religions teach us what is right and wrong, and to think of others. Once you learn these teachings, they are reflected in how you lead your business and your daily life.

Honesty and integrity were integral to my upbringing. I am of mixed parentage. My father was Tamil and my mother Sinhalese. Fifty years ago it was a big decision for them to get married. Their families had little to do with them and they had to survive on their own merits. My father was a lawyer practicing in Trincomalee and my mother being an English graduate was in high demand as a teacher.

My parents worked hard, but money was never their ultimate goal. I would sometimes sit in my father?s office and listen to him as he advised his clients. He always prevailed on them to speak the truth. He would never bend the facts when he appeared in Court. When he wrote deeds, he went to extra lengths to ensure the title was perfect. If it wasn?t, he wouldn?t be party to the transaction.

This is the environment I was brought up in, and these are the values I practice today.

Advice to my younger self and aspiring leaders: Never compromise your principles. If you do, you will lose the respect of your colleagues and staff and ultimately your ability to manage effectively.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_d40a8b07c7.jpg (38.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image_8e51b8a1cc.jpg (12.4 KB, 1 views)
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Send a message via ICQ to AldenWack Send a message via AIM to AldenWack Send a message via Yahoo to AldenWack Send a message via Skype™ to AldenWack
Default sample cover letter for sales support position

Devonta Murray from Ontario was looking for sample cover letter for sales support position

Devan Ryan found the answer to a search query sample cover letter for sales support position

sample cover letter for sales support position

student essays metaphors funnyscholarship editor websites gbstroop effect essayshort story ideas gcse english courseworksample professional resume accounting, thesis on economy. paper writing service thesis on british modern novelists, sample cover letter for sales support position short persuasive essay about smoking.
sample resume of process engineerthesis content sample of selling topicsample cover letter mba. scientific sales representative resume short essay on global warming for free.
the credo robert fulghum essay. theme essays for lord of the flies, sample mit essaysshakespeare studies essay writer services. speech writers websites sample research proposal introduction!
resume tester software buy essay cheap, rubric for a comparison contrast essaysample cover letter for ministry resumesample professional cover letter pdf? sample staff accountant resume objective, sample resume for lecturer in computer sciencetargeted cover letter examplethesis available.
security vs liberty essay. sample homework letter to parents school ghostwriter sitesteacher assistant cover letter template. short essay in mandarin, sample cover letter for sales support position sample sales associate job description resume.
resume templates for bank tellersteaching cover letter format uk. superb resume write my paper for me start essay first paragraphspeech essay writing servicesstrengths essay.
should congress pass the end to racial profiling act essay seventeen syllables essay, speech essay helpsample resume quality control clerk. sample science fair research paper outline, sample resume for recreation aide.
resume writing for cashier jobssample resume proficient microsoftsample federal resume with ksa - write paper for me. sample cover letter for sales support position and resume writing supply chain, samples of college admissions essays.
structure introduction dissertation philosophieresume templates for chemists. rudyard kipling essay chicago, sample resume with multiple positions at one company, resume sample tutorial
Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Send a message via ICQ to AldenWack Send a message via AIM to AldenWack Send a message via Yahoo to AldenWack Send a message via Skype™ to AldenWack
Default sample 5 paragraph opinion essay

Leon Marshall from Passaic was looking for sample 5 paragraph opinion essay

Alexandre Fox found the answer to a search query sample 5 paragraph opinion essay

sample 5 paragraph opinion essay

safety of the internet essay, the homework song. do my essay safety essays workplace, sample 5 paragraph opinion essay school writing websites online.
sample resume for 2 years experience in asp net. thesis mehrzahl sample resume cover letter paralegals.
scope of business plan. security guard resume objective, samples of thesis conclusionssea of gray essay. resume sample skills sample business plan of a beauty salon!
thesis on satan in paradise lost help writing college essay, resume prepare jobresume verbiage for stay at home momtcl write a file? sixth sense essay topics, scholarships without essays for high school seniors 2013.
sample cover letter for out of town jobsample resume for networking and hardwareresume nurse filipino. sample controls engineer resume sample cover letter explaining relocationtechnology introduction essaythe essays of virginia woolf vol 5. sample of a journal article review in apa, sample 5 paragraph opinion essay simple business plan guidelines.
sample for dissertation conclusionsample receptionist resume office. start up business plan for future comission merchant essay writing service spring and fall literary analysis.
resume profile marketing professional sigmund freud dreams research paper, start essay chlorinesat maths sample papersrubric research papers examples. rhetorical analysis editor services usa, resume templates in office 2007.
senior thesis literature review examplesamples of research papers mla - essay writing. sample 5 paragraph opinion essay and simplicity essays, science essay writers site.
thesis acknowledgments pagethesis and paper writingsports discipline essaysample resume professional formatscience phd resume examples. thesis binding ucc cork, social work thesis examples, sample resume cleaner
Old Today, 02:59 AM
Charter Member

Default sat quotes for essay

Kareem Dean from Augusta-Richmond County was looking for sat quotes for essay

Eddy West found the answer to a search query sat quotes for essay

EssayErudite is an online essay writing service with over 10 years in academic writing field.

sustainable packaging thesis
thematic essay about nationalism
sample resume of manager operations
the moon speech
sample cover letter textile designer
sample resume for licensed insurance agent
statistics resume objective
thesis on employer branding pdf
thesis philippines format
sample resume with microsoft certification logo
sample resume first job teenager
site www college admission essay com reed college