S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Prep Colpetty Group

Old 17-10-20, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Thank You Mr. Casie Chetty, former Headmaster STC Prep

https://www.stcobasydney.org/2020-ar...y-casie-chetty

Thank You Mr. Casie Chetty, former Headmaster STC Prep

We?re looking at a bountiful selection of thank you cards; handwritten, elegantly worded, these mementos are an apt expression for the man who has received them. ?Little things,? he smiles. ?But it?s very rewarding to feel that your work is appreciated.?
N.Y. Casie Chetty is reluctant to describe himself as an educationist, despite 20 years serving as Headmaster at S. Thomas? Preparatory School. A lawyer by education, his appointment to the school in 1995 came at a time of social turmoil in the country. Casie Chetty had grown rather weary of seeing the gentle society he grew up in disintegrating at the hands of rebellious youth without a cause. ?The country was in a state of anarchy,? he remembers. ?I found myself wondering more and more if this was the kind of society my children would have to inherit.?

Not content as an armchair revolutionist, he found himself wondering what he could do about the situation and was rewarded with a request to serve as Headmaster of S. Thomas? Preparatory School, then 57 years old, in Colpetty. ?I knew this was the perfect opportunity,? says Casie Chetty. Besides, as a fourth generation Thomian and fiercely proud of it, it seemed the ideal fit for the young lawyer who had previously served at the Attorney General?s Department.

Not content as an armchair revolutionist, he found himself wondering what he could do about the situation and was rewarded with a request to serve as Headmaster of S. Thomas? Preparatory School, then 57 years old, in Colpetty. ?I knew this was the perfect opportunity,? says Casie Chetty. Besides, as a fourth generation Thomian and fiercely proud of it, it seemed the ideal fit for the young lawyer who had previously served at the Attorney General?s Department.

Two decades later he looks back on his time at the school with satisfaction. Widely known as a tough cookie, Casie Chetty has nonetheless gone on to leave his mark on the school?s structural makeup and has few regrets on his departure. ?I came into the school with a three point agenda,? he tells us. ?Discipline, academia and sports.? As a young Thomian, these were values that had been inculcated in Casie Chetty?s mind and he was ?determined? to bring them to his new appointment.

?Discipline? is perhaps the foremost legacy he leaves behind for the school. On his appointment, Casie Chetty dispensed with corporal punishment for students. He declares himself thoroughly opposed to the notion of physically punishing his charges, although at the time this ideal was met with a fair amount of scepticism. How was one to maintain order in a boys? school? The new headmaster answered these concerns with other measures; often, a firm word was all that was needed and if not suspensions and expulsions were not unheard of.

A devout member of the Anglican Church community, Casie Chetty also espoused the values and ideals of other religions to his students. ?I used to tell the boys at assembly that if you don?t understand anichcha ( impermanence) then you understand nothing in life,? he remembers. He is a strong proponent of ? life education?, advising on a wellrounded education in religion, values and culture.

He is adamant that his young charges learn the value of brotherly spirit, especially in the face of adversity. An avid cricketer himself, Casie Chetty believes that his students must be well rounded and for this sports have played an impor- tant role. During his time tennis and table tennis took a predominant place in the school calendar and young Thomians did well in the field. Their headmaster is pleased by them, and gently points out that education too must be championed. He doesn?t believe in letting his students settle into being underachievers. ?You come to school to learn, and you may as well do it well!?

The S. Thomas? Preparatory School teaches students up to their Ordinary Level examinations, after which many transfer to S. Thomas College in Mount Lavinia. Casie Chetty remains strongly opposed to introducing the Advanced Levels curriculum to the school. ?I feel that the boys may miss out by not being able to be part of the Mt. Lavinia school. I spent my best years there,? he recollects. ?Besides, 900 students is a good number for us to maintain.? Every term he would take the time to write a personal comment in each of their report cards. It was exhausting business but well worth the reward, he smiles.

He is reluctant to pontificate on the state of education in the country, but notes that there is a dire need for more funds and qualified teachers to enter the field. ?If you look at Singapore the best paid people are in education,? he points out. ?That?s because they place a massive amount of importance on human potential, and the importance of quality education.? Sri Lanka is on the right path, but has been given step-motherly treatment by authorities for far too long, he remonstrates.

On his departure Casie Chetty finds himself to be ranked fifth longest serving on the list of headmasters who have served S. Thomas over the years. He followed in the footsteps of J.S.L. Fernando, who served for a grand 28 years as Headmaster. ?It has been a privilege,? he says simply. Now, he looks forward to taking some time to consider his options. At 60 he is still the same man he was 20 years ago in determination and has no intention of resting on his laurels. There is much more work to be done after all.

ARTICLE SOURCE: Sunday Times (Sri Lanka) 2015
Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Send a message via ICQ to AldenWack Send a message via AIM to AldenWack Send a message via Yahoo to AldenWack Send a message via Skype™ to AldenWack
Default resume templates for freshers engineers

Kadeem Davis from Norwalk was looking for resume templates for freshers engineers

Alonzo Dixon found the answer to a search query resume templates for freshers engineers

resume templates for freshers engineers

taxes research paperswami vivekanandas vision and style in his essay modern indiathesis paper on friendshipshort essay questions for lord of the fliessybase dba resume pdf, resume psg marseille 2012sample resume objectives for customer service supervisorretrieved from proquest digital dissertationsskinheads nazi punks blog essay youtube. essay writing service semiconductor sample resume, resume templates for freshers engineers rhetorical analysis essay writer services ca.
thesis antithesis synthesis oxford. self motivation essay free rough draft of college essays.
romulus my father sample essay. thesis defense speech, sample resume bartender serverrvolunteer resume examples. sample admission essay nursing sample goldwater essays!
sample essay sat topics do my research paper for me, resume writers richmond va? sport introduction essay, teacher career change cover letter samplethesis in erp risk management pdfsir francis bacon essay of truth.
resume unix systems programmer. thanksgiving essay contest temple essay requirements. the rules of survival book report, resume templates for freshers engineers sample resume for customer service call center.
thesis on online retailingsimple essay outlines formatsafety officer resume doc. resume template media planner writing a research paper sample cover letter for adjunct teaching jobresume skills section internshiprolfe model of reflection essay.
resume pool attendant thesis conference, sample resume format internshipresume review services calgary. sample college essays most influential person, sample term papers in apa format.
sample letter in response to resumesisterhood of the traveling pants essay - write my custom paper. resume templates for freshers engineers and thesis introduction about tourism, the reflective essay.
resume mwzander ru. sample diversity essays for college, resume sample job application malaysia, textual essay
Old Today, 03:04 AM
Charter Member

Send a message via ICQ to AldenWack Send a message via AIM to AldenWack Send a message via Yahoo to AldenWack Send a message via Skype™ to AldenWack
Default start good short essay

Earl Barrett from Scranton was looking for start good short essay

Ronald Roberts found the answer to a search query start good short essay

EssayErudite is an online essay writing service with over 10 years in academic writing field.

sample writing sample cover letter
sample resume for speech language pathologist
sample thesis topics in public administration
sample of article critique using apa format
someone who has influenced you essay
saifullah malik resume
student essays on haiti
thesis ideas for madame bovary
science aspects 1 answers homework book
technical essays
template for a mla research proposal
the fixer essay topics