S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > STC today

Old 14-04-20, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Message from Warden to Present boys.Easter Day 2020

Message from Warden to Present boys.Easter Day 2020

My Dear Present Boys of S. Thomas?,

I send you my greetings as for the first time in all our lives we celebrate Easter and the Sinhala and Tamil New Year in the way that we are being forced to do by the Corona Virus Pandemic.

Last year the Easter Sunday terror attacks paralysed our communities to the extent that school life was hindered, and it took a long time for us to return to normal despite the beefing up of security for our campus. This year we still haven?t been able to return to School after the Big Match and as I walk through the quadrangle on almost a daily basis my heart aches to see the banners and flags still around and an eerie silence like that of a ghost town pervades the entire premises. While many species of birds are back, the campus and the school miss the pulsating life that is made possible only by the presence of you all. I can?t wait to start school again and for the silence to be broken once more with the sound of cheerful laughter and chatter. I miss the mischief makers and the naughty pranksters as much as I miss the ones who do their utmost to be good! In short, I miss the extended Thomian Family ? the life blood of this school that is her heart and her soul and what gives her purpose and meaning.

During this period of restrictions on social interactions and an enforced period of staying at home it is my hope and my prayer for you all that the sights, and smells and sounds of your beloved Alma Mater will always be with you to remind you of your home away from home where we wait longingly for your return.

Despite the situation that is before us all, the one thing we know for sure about the very uncertain future that awaits the whole country and the whole world is that we will all see much change in every aspect of life. Nothing will ever be the same. As a historian I can tell you that at different points in human history there have been cataclysmic events that left the entire world changed for ever. The two World Wars of the 20th century are two of the best examples of this. The Corona Virus Pandemic of 2020 will be another in our lifetime. Change is inevitable and as and when you return to School and we are all reunited in one physical space again you will be like the scattered Thomians who came back to Mount Lavinia after the War in 1946 to restart College here. The change then was symbolized by our new crest that Warden R S de Saram commissioned that same year ? I wonder what will symbolize our return this time.

But for now, how do we respond to this crisis and the inevitable demands it makes on each of us.

1. The process of teaching and learning must go on. Thus we have begun online virtual classrooms for you for the purpose of providing continued access to education through remote learning. Your teachers are working hard to provide the necessary basic instructions. Study packs have been published online through the Akura system and I hope all of you have begun to make use of the facility. I am conscious that some of you may have problems with the lack of the basic hardware required for remote learning such as a smart device, laptop or desktop and may even have a problem with accessing data. Please do not hesitate to inform your teachers and we will see how we can help in some way. We want all of you to have the same benefits in this regard. For some of you the decisions the school has taken may be difficult to understand but remember that whatever we do your long-term welfare is always our highest priority, even if it may not seem that way at this time.

2. Physical Fitness can continue. We are making arrangements for our sports officers, coaches and trainers to provide online schedules for you all to engage in some form of physical exercises while you remain restricted to your homes. You may wish to make use of these arrangements especially if you don?t have a garden or space to engage in some play and outdoor exercises. Even though only some of you belong to Buck House, this is the time when all of us would do well to keep the Buck House motto in our minds and do our best to maintain a healthy mind in a healthy body!

3. Pastoral Care and Counseling will continue. We do understand that some of you may be struggling emotionally at this time with various challenges, not just the uncertainty caused by the Pandemic. I like to assure you that our team of School Counselors, namely Rev?d Roshan Mendis, Mrs. Gimhani Gunawardena, Dr Suresh Yogasundram, Mr. Navneth Mendis, Ms. Angelica Chandrasekeran, Mr. Pulinda Perera, and Mrs. Udeni Rambukwella will be available to be contacted and you may email them to request an online or telephone appointment at certain designated times during the day. These details have already been communicated to your parents by the Sub Warden last week.

4. Responsible Online Social Interaction must continue. Even though the stress today is on social distancing and all this emphasis on virtual classrooms does create physical distance from our families and friends outside our homes I urge you to constantly keep in touch with each other, as I?m sure many of you are, over the phone, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram whatever other social media tools you boys are using today. But I would please request you to act responsibly in cyber space and not engage in any activities that will bring disrepute to you, your families or your school.

So lads, given the announcement by the Minister of Education on Good Friday that schools may be reopening soon (May 11th) don?t lose heart. Remember Good Friday was thankfully not the end of the story. Easter Sunday brought new life, new hope and new opportunities for faith and love. Just as the light and life of Easter Sunday overcame the darkness and death of Good Friday, so this period of darkness we are all going through will end. The Sinhala and Tamil New Year also is a celebration of new life and new beginnings and of light symbolized by the lighting of a new fire etc. All this reminds us that light will shine again. The storm will end and there will be a rainbow in the sky again. Let us not give into despair but keep on keeping on with hope in our hearts. ?This too shall pass? and ?We will overcome?!

Till we meet again, as we surely will, stay strong, draw on that legendary Thomian Grit and learn the lessons that this crisis has to teach us all.

Yours as always with fatherly affection, prayers and blessings,

Warden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image001.jpg (26.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg z_yv02-O-come3.jpg (18.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 14-04-20 at 05:27 PM.
Old 15-04-20, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Message from Warden to Present boys. Easter Day 2020

Date: Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: http://stc-oldboys.com/showthread.php?p=55144#post55144
To: STC tyretracks <tyretracks1851@gmail.com>

Very thought-provoking and inspiring note to the young Thomian fraternity. Shows that at all times, the good and bad, we are one.
Must be shared with the other branches as well....Bandarawela and Guruthalawa.
Regards
Upul Arunajith

Date: Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 6:02 PM
To: STC tyretracks <tyretracks1851@gmail.com>

Brilliant and profound. We can be proud of the Warden's leadership vision and caring.
Nimal

Date: Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 10:58 AM
Subject: RE: http://stc-oldboys.com/showthread.php?p=55144#post55144
To: Sriyan jayasekera <stc.librarians.group@gmail.com>

Truly a message of hope and encouragement even to Old Boys in lockdown. Thank you Rev. Marc.

Date: Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 5:35 PM
To: Sriyan jayasekera <stc.librarians.group@gmail.com>

Thanks. This will be an encouragement for students.This will be a good opportunity to do online lectures on a permanent basis to assist students.
Kind regards
Lakshman R Watawala

Date: Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 7:59 PM
To: Sriyan jayasekera <stc.dsa.era.group@gmail.com>

Dear Sriyan,
Thanks for sharing with me.If I could be of limited assistance with my old age infirmities, please let me know
Kind Regards
Dayantha

Vidya Jyothi Emeritus Prof. Eng. Dr. Dayantha S Wijeyesekera#oops#DEC(Eng),PhD(Edin),DUniv(UKOU),D Litt(OUSL),DSc(Mor)
CEng.FIE(SL),FCIT(Lond),FICE(Lond),FNAS(SL),FIChem C(SL)

Date: Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 12:26 AM

Hi Sriyan,
Well written, wonderful and uplifting message for the students in an uncertain time like this. Stay safe.
Samare

Date: Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 5:03 AM
Subject: Buck House Motto

sriyan,
i was pleased to see the reference to the Buck House motto in warden's message.It was back in 1966, when Graham Hatch and I were the senior prefects of Buck house, that we designed the crest and selected the motto - Mens sana in corpore sano.Therein lies a story!
sanjiva

Associate Professor Sanjiva Wijesinha
MBBS (Ceylon), MSc (Oxford), FRCS,FRACGP,
Department of General Practice, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences,Monash University,270, Ferntree Gully Road, Notting Hill, Victoria,Australia 3168.Webpage:https://sanjivawijesinha.com/

Last edited by sriyanj; 15-04-20 at 02:22 PM.