Obituaries Funeral notices and appreciations

Old 25-06-20, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Default D R N (Ravi) Ferdinando

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 10:05 AM
Subject: D R N (Ravi) Ferdinando
To:

Dear friends,

It is with much sorrow that I inform you of the passing away of our dear friend and classmate D R N (Ravi) Ferdinando after a brief illness.Known to all of us as Ferdi, he was by far, the most brilliant guy in our batch. Having breezed through all the public examinations with consummate ease he entered the Engineering Faculty of the Peradeniya University to qualify as a structural engineer.He joined the State Engineering Corporation after passing out and rose to be its head within a very short time.
Having retired from there he practiced his profession privately and was a most respected and much sought after professional in his field. A simple, god fearing,quiet person Ferdi was loved by all he knew him. He helped the needy and was a good family man. He will be missed by all who had the privilege in knowing him.
Going back to our College days, I recollect that he was not a "bookworm". I could still picture him playing under-arm soft ball cricket near the old scoreboard at the Big Club grounds. He was a compact little right hander who was difficult to dislodge. He was socially active and was a regular at all the College events and at our class gatherings until illness got the better of him.
We missed him at our Three Score and Ten gathering in March this year and many inquired about his absence. It was then that we came to know that he wasn't well.It is sad that people like him are recalled by his maker sooner than others. Whom the Gods love, they say, die young. Ferdi was a case in point.
May the turf lie gently on him and God grant his soul eternal peace.
Thank you,

Y S de Soyza
On behalf of Thomian Class of '65

FERNANDO - D.R.N. (FERDI) - Former G.M. State Engineering Corporation. Loving husband of Harshani,​ precious father of Rashintha and Tehani,​ beloved brother of Nihal and brother-in-law of late Cherryl. Funeral service will commence at 4 p.m. at home. Cortege will leave at 4.30 p.m. from 39,​ Lady Evelyn De Soysa Road,​ Idama,​ Moratuwa on Saturday 27th June 2020 for burial at 5 p.m. at Holy Emmanuel Church Burial Grounds,​ Moratuwa.031927

Last edited by sriyanj; 26-06-20 at 09:19 AM.
Old 25-06-20, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 10:44 AM
Subject: Re: D R N (Ravi) Ferdinando
To:

Very sad indeed.
May Ferdi's Soul Rest in Peace and Rise in Glory.

Lyle.

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 10:44 AM
To:

So Very sad to hear this news .My thoughts and prayers are. with his family . May he rest In Peace .
Yorkey
Sent from my iPhone

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 11:05 AM
Subject: RE: D R N (Ravi) Ferdinando
To:

Really sad to hear that we have lost our dear friend Ferdie .
May His Soul Rest In Peace

Vibhu ( V . V )

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 11:13 AM
To:

Very sad news indeed. I have a very clear memory of Ferdi in college Upper 6 C always coming 1st in class. He was a brilliant student and a very humble man in later years. Recollect meeting up with Ferdi about 10 years back when he was working as a consultant engineer and discussing some salient civil engineering matters, on which he was able to shed another angle of thought, which proved helpful.
May his dear soul rest in peace, and deepest sympathies to his family.
Your's sincerely,

Jeffrey Wambeek
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 11:45 AM
To:

Dear YS & batchmates
Terrible news of the demise of DRN Ferdi. He was the best opponent in studies I had all the way from Lower 4th classes and always bested me and I was and am proud of his achievements in the Civil Engineering Industry thereafter. Good & quiet true friend.
May he rest in peace and my deepest sympathies to his family members.
Nama

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 12:34 PM
To:
Very Sad News May he rest in peace and my deepest sympathies to his family.

Nilkamal Gunewardena

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 12:52 PM
To:

So very sad to hear that we lost another class mates. May DRN, rest in peace and my deepest sympathies to his family.

NMG.
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 12:53 PM
To

Dear YS
I am indeed taken aback hear this very sad news . Although I left all of you in 5th form , I always admired Ferdi?s approach to life , right throughout my time with all of you in college . An unassuming individual with a brilliant mind always there to help others , and even joined us during our lunch breaks to play Cricket with all of us. We will all miss him dearly . Please convey my deepest sympathies to his his family .
Warmest regards

Sunil
Sent from my iPad

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 1:46 PM
To:

Dear friends,

Very sad indeed to hear the news of his demise!Ferdi was a prince among men! A shining light that blazed for 70 years and was taken home by Our Lord. I met him after 40 some years at a get together organized by Kari in 2012 at the SSC, where we also had a sing song session with yours truly on the guitar. He joined along with us, and after a while he and I sat down and reminisced about our respective paths of engineering experiences. We were together in Bulto's Latin class for two years, before I transferred in my third year to Rifle Mendis's English Literature class. Devadason and I did not get on well and I ended up being on report for a couple of months and being caned by Poeta every Thursday at noon, during that period. I gave a good run for the money to Ferdi in Bulto's Latin class, but Ferdi was unbeatable; truly a brilliant student. Ferdi topped the OL and AL results and breezed into Engineering faculty Peradeniya. We were the FIRST batch in Ceylon to sit for the OL and AL exams in Swabasha. His results in both examinations were exceptional. No mean feat, by any stretch of imagination! A cut above the rest of us !My deepest sympathy and prayers are extended to his family. We shall truly miss his quiet dignity and demeanour .
A nonpareil amongst men!The Lord Jesus has granted Ferdi eternal peace with Him in Glory..Amen!

Bala
( John Balachandra, California, USA)

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 2:50 PM
To:

I was made aware that DRN was battling illness and that a few days ago, following complications, post surgery, he was in the ICU.
All of this is meant to prepare us for the inevitable and yet it never does - for when the inevitable does materialise, the shock and sense of sadness is (still) all very real and raw. Compunded a hundred times over, when it is one of our very own classmates.
My thoughts, heartfelt sympathies and prayers are with DRN's family at this difficult time.
"Rest in Peace DRN - You were one of the Best in our midst".
P. C. D.

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 3:35 PM
To:

My deepest sympathies to his family.
Regards
Sangar

K.Sangarappillai,
15 Thames Place,
Seven Hills,
NSW 2147
Australia
Mobile : 0438 129738
Home : 02 9622 9738

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 3:52 PM
To:

This is such sad news. He certainly was the best and brightest among us, yet his humility never appeared to have left him. I met him once, at the most twice, since I left school and he had not changed.My deepest condolences go to his family and may God grant them the strength and courage to see them through these sorrowful times.
I remember them in my prayers.

Chandralal

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 6:19 PM
To:

Very sad to hear this. His quiet, unassuming manner belied his academic excellence. I was fortunate to meet him briefly after almost 50 years when he dropped by a get together at the SSC in 2018.My thoughts are with his family in this time of loss.

Myla

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 6:51 PM
To:

Please convey my heartfelt condolences to the family - YS Sadly I did not meet him after he left college, heard about his endeavours at State Engineering, in fact I did climb the stairs at their office in front of Bishops, as the elevator was not in operation,it was in 1983, was told that he has gone off site.I was really looking forward to meet up with him in March this year at the 3S&10 event.
Dear Ferdi Rest in Peace

DR

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 7:44 PM
To

Ferdi was Undoubtedly the best in our batch , academically the finest student in the class room , had an average in studies like Bradman , and excelled in all subjects ,From literature to sciences , like the one and only Sobers in cricket ,Mastered it all ,. With His soft spoken words and a gentle smile , became a friend to all of his batch mates and left us with grace.
Sincerely

Ravi
Sent from my iPhone

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 8:26 PM
To:

Sad loss of an amazing person. Brilliant student, quiet achiever and a true Thomian.May his soul rest in peace. May God bless you and keep you in his care, dear Ferdi.

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 9:02 PM
To:

Very sorry to hear of Ravi?s passing. I would like to offer his family my deepest condolences. May his soul rest in peace.

Regards
Basil

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 9:29 PM
To:

Nama & Ferdie would exchange the first & second positions in Class every Term.No one else could get even close.Faithfully served the State Engineering Corp for decades when he could have got top positions anywhere & never looked for that pot of Gold.He was truly a man in whom you found all the virtues of a perfect human being.Ferdie enjoyed the Thomian tradition of addressing mates by their initials.I was PLD from day one upto the last time we met.Never failed to make a joke out of his Teetotal state.The mate taking the drinks order would ask,"Ferdie,how about a Beer".His standard reply,"Yes,a Beer would be fine but with Ginger in front".We will always remember these memories of our beloved friend.May his soul find eternal peace.
With much sadness.

Kari

Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 10:37 PM
To:

So sorry to hear about the passing of 'Ferdi'. He was always at the top of the class, and always humble. I never got the chance to meet him after we I left college. Even during our school years together, I knew he would go far in academia, and professional careers.Please convey my sympathies to his family.
Chandana(CK)

Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 11:14 AM
To:

Thanks, do you know if his brother was my batch? There was a Ferdinando, also very bright, with similar initials, who was at the Water Board, oddly enough I had just written about him in relation to CKDU and rain water harvesting

Last edited by sriyanj; 26-06-20 at 12:39 PM.
Old 26-06-20, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 10:35 AM
To:

Dear Sriyan
Man y thanks for sharing the sad news of Ferdi's death. The Col A class without a Physics teacher for a while and I remember taking a class of just a few guys of about ten and teaching them Magnetism. Ferdi was one of them, and some others in that class were Kamal Weerapperuma and Dr Haththotuwa. As you say Ferdi was a bright guy. I would pay my respects to him.May his soul rest in peace.

Mevan Pieris

Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 9:31 AM
To:

May the Good Lord grant him Eternal Rest .In sympathy / Milinda

Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 9:29 AM
To:

Dear YS,

Thank you for sharing the sad news. Quiet gentleman who was an achiever. I sat next to him in form V and had the liberty of copying at Fortnightly Tests.May his soul
Rest in Peace.

Sarath Jayasuriya

Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 9:40 AM
To:

My deepest sympathies on the passing away of Ferdi.

Lakshman R Watawala

Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 10:43 AM
To:

YS,
thank you for letting us know. It is really sad to see a fine Thomian and scholar pass away at 70.Much too young.
That event at the SSC in 2012, was this held in an open bar like area on the 1st floor near the tennis courts? I recall attending an Old boys event of our batch there with Ajit Jayasekera and a few others.I was on a short break in SL.
For me too that was the last time I caught up with Ferdi.Time has passed very fast and it was only recently that we were sending condolence messages to our batch mates when their parents passed away. Sadly our time is now at hand.
My heartfelt sympathies to Ferdi's family. May he rest in peace and may the Good Lord have mercy on him and grant him a place in Paradise.

Esto Perpetua
Imtiaz (Imty) Issadeen
Tokyo.+81-80-5433-8822

Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 11:22 AM
To:

It is indeed very sad to hear of the passing away of one of our dear friends.May his soul rest in peace.
Nihal

Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 1:30 PM
To:

Dear Y.S,
Thank you, as always for informing the Group of the passing away of our dear classmate and friend DRN.
The news of the passing away of a classmate is always heart-rending. Childhood memories flash through our minds. We regret that we were unable to spend more time in our later years and rue those missed opportunities to be present at batch gatherings.
I remember DRN having a whale of a time on the dance floor at a social gathering with his vivacious wife Harshani. Jive, Cha-cha, Waltz he could do it all.
We pray that the members of his family will find comfort in the happy memories they shared, just as we, his batchmates console ourselves, for we will not see him again.
Lester.

Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 11:40 AM
To:

May his soul Rest in Peace.
GAF

Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 4:31 PM
To:

Very sad to here of Ravi’s demise. May his soul rest in peace
Anura W

Date: Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 7:59 AM
To:

Very sad to here of Ravi's passing away of our classmate and dear friend. May his soul rest in peace.
Ranjith Dabare

Date: Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 4:26 AM
Toear Classmates,
This news has come as a shock to me and I guess to many of you.
Ferdi excelled academically but above all was a quiet achiever and a very humble person.
He went on to great heights in his profession, and as a Civil Engineer brought great credit to this discipline of Engineering and we are so proud of him.
At this time of sorrow and grief we are thankful that he was a man of faith,who lived his life well and would surely have heard His Master say,”Well done good and faithful servant enter into your eternal rest”
Deepest sympathies to his family and those near and dear to him.
Henny(Rajan)

Last edited by sriyanj; 05-07-20 at 08:19 AM.