S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum

S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum (http://stc-oldboys.com/index.php)
-   Obituaries (http://stc-oldboys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Dion Jayasuriya. (http://stc-oldboys.com/showthread.php?t=271306)

sriyanj 18-12-20 09:08 AM

Dion Jayasuriya.

1 Attachment(s)
To The STC Freshmen of 59 Group,

Dion and I joined the school by the sea in 1959 and continued to be close friends upto his time of demise.We jointly put out many projects to keep the Thomian family together and especially our class group members.Along the way we celebrated several milestones in our life together.He was just one day older to me but whatever the occasion or the venue we never departed without greeting each other. He was always concerned about our past teachers and their welfare. Whenever we invited our teachers he used to suggest to me that we give them something as a gift and used to make a very generous contribution, at times he used to supply the same on his account. At dinners he used to instruct me not to charge from classmates who are not doing well and had a habit of paying for their tickets.

He was fully involved in all the college and class group projects. Was a very useful member of the Old Boys Association in which body he held many positions in committees. He was a live wire of The Freshmen of 59 Group its name itself is his brain child.

After leaving school Dion Jayasuriya joined Pure Beverages Co Ltd as an Executive. Thereafter joined Carson Cumberbatch & Co, and rose to be a main Board Director.

The company formerly known as Carsons Construction Ltd, started as a joint venture in November - 1980, between Carson Cumberbatch Co. Ltd., and the Edwards Brothers Group of New Zealand. In 1993, following a management buyout of shares owned by Carson Cumberbatch & Co. Ltd., the company changed its name to CML Edwards Construction Limited. In December 2005, Edwards Brothers group of New Zealand, divested their holding to the MTD Capital group of Malaysia now known as AlloyMTD Group, one of the largest and most reputed firms in Malaysia with core businesses in Civil engineering and Construction, Infrastructure and Development. Following this change we became CML-MTD Construction Ltd. MTD Walkers PLC, which is a publicly listed company in Sri Lanka, is the largest shareholder of CML-MTD Construction Limited. Through the MTD Walkers PLC Group synergies, CML-MTD has access to vast Financial, Technical and Engineering resources and also, has access to affiliated construction partners in the overseas markets such as Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, Bangladesh and Maldives. Dion Jayasuriya was the CEO of this construction company.

A former Captain and President of the Royal Colombo Golf Club (RCGC), Dion Jayasuriya was elected President of the Sri Lanka Golf Union (SLGU) in May 2004.

Dear Dion I sincerely thank you and treasure very much your friendship, guidance and unstinted support you gave me in all my projects. You were always concerned about our teachers and the classmates who were not doing too well and were prepared to extend a helping hand to make their lives comfortable. Finally, though sad to mention, I must state that our class group gatherings will never be the same without you the vacuum you have created by your passing away will never be filled.

May the many meritorious acts you performed to make others happy and the most meaningful life you led setting an example to others will certainly help you to shorten your sansara wondering and attain the supreme bliss of nirvana.

Sriyan

Funeral details
Final religious observances -Pansa Kula- at the residence at 112, Suvisuddharama Road, Colombo 5 after 12.30 pm today 18th December 2020, thereafter cremation 5.00 p.m. General cemetery (old Crematorium) Kanatha, Borella.

Date: Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: Dion Jayasuriya
To:

Genial and dependable Dion silently and generously helped many in need with his own funds and contacts .We kept in touch till the last few days and I treasure his solid friendship .
We played together in a College Pop musical Group called " THE FLAMES " .May he attain the supreme bliss of Nibhana .
" Rupang jeerathi majjanang Naama goththang najeerathi "

Date: Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 11:11 AM
To:

Sincere condolences on the passing away of your dear friend and fellow Thomian.
From the description you have written he is an exemplary Thomian, and I aspire to be one of that caliber.
Thank you for sharing the news regularly with the Thomian family. Really appreciate your emails Sriyan.

Best Regards
Gihan Beneragama
Sent from my iPhone

Date: Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 11:19 AM
To:

Thank you for sharing Sriyan. I remember Dion, as yet another member of those prestigious long standing Private firms of an era gone by, who upheld their noble values throughout his tenure.May he rest in Peace.
Warm regards and blessings
Skanda.

Date: Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 6:37 PM
To:

My sincere condolences to the family members of Dion.Let him rest in peace.He had led a wonderful, philanthropic life, hard to match by many.
Esto Perpetua.
Ambrose,
Madurai,Tamilnadu

Date: Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 5:25 PM
To:

Siriyan,
Thank you for forwarding news about our College Boys, it makes interesting reading and I share it with my class mates.
I left College in 1953 after failing SSC in Tamil, twice and I am way older than you boys.
Buddha said' HAVE GOOD THOUGHTS, DO GOOD DEEDS, GOOD THINGS WILL HAPPEN TO YOU '
It appears that Dion had his heart in the right place.
God Speed
Regards.
Kail

Date: Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 5:44 PM
To:

Sriyan,
Yours is a lament from the heart and in that it is beautiful.
Reading it was a sad pleasure if I may say so.
You have now over many years been a catalyst and hopefully you will remain so.
MB

Date: Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 11:59 AM
Subject: The Sudden Passing away of Dion Jayasuriya
To:

To all those in this very sad "Mail Out",I have delayed to forward it on to you all in this "Bcc" listing until I verified that this was the same "Dion Jayasuriya" I knew very well.Recently in some personal correspondence between ourselves, Dion's cousin Dhammika Jayasuriya(D.D.) to most of you at STC referred to his paternal Uncle as "Mahappa" -Denzil Jayasuriya (M.D.F.) who was a very close friend of my Dad right throughout their days at STC and later in life until one was taken before the other. Their friendship spanned over 60 years. I grew up with the girls and Dion was their only son. Uncle Denzil and Aunty Violet were very close to my parents and when they visited Melbourne were guests of my parents.Last December when we were visiting the "Motherland" Dion was planning to visit us at the Mount Lavinia Hotel but got tied up with some work and missed catching up with me.It was sad to receive this article from Sriyan who has written a great account of Dion's life and the early memories Sriyan Jayasekera & Dion Jayasuriya shared at STC and right up to present times. Dion's illness was brief, just on 5 months I believe.
Thank you Sriyan for keeping me in the "loop".
Kind regards,
Corinne

Date: Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 1:13 PM
Subject: Fwd: The Sudden Passing away of Dion Jayasuriya
To:

Dear All,I last saw My cousin On Saturday with Pirith Recital from The Buddha Mandiraya.And touched his soles and kept looking deeply,He was looking on with smiling eyes, the eyes that always smiled at his friends& relatives. And to me for 68 yrs.When we did many a Thing together.Have lost my Mentor, Who always guided me and my children,The Family has lost A symbol of stature and Unparalleled giving to Humanity.My college has lost a great Thomian. Society and SRI Lanka great Human-being.
Thank Corrine For the Memories.
DD
Get Outlook for iOS

sriyanj 22-12-20 10:35 PM

Dion Jayasuriya Demise of a thorough gentleman and true friend

1 Attachment(s)
Dion Jayasuriya Demise of a thorough gentleman and true friend
22 December 2020 12:00 am -

Dion never turned down anyone who came to him for help. He was large-hearted and magnanimous in his association with his friends. He has sponsored those classmates who were not doing too well and also financially supported their families whenever any of them died
Dion Jayasuriya joined S. Thomas? College, Mount Lavinia in January 1959 from year 1 in the Lower School. I joined S. Thomas? Mount Lavinia to Lower Four (Standard 6) from St. Thomas? Prep. School, Kollupitiya and, I had the good fortune of becoming friends with Dion. He was very respectful to our teachers and won their admiration. We observed his very genuine, generous and kind qualities from way back then. We were very close friends up to the time of his demise at 2.00 a.m. on 18th December 2020.

Dion suggested to name our batch at STC, The Thomian Freshmen of 59 since many started College in 1959 with others joining this batch from Prep School, Kollupitiya, Bandarawela and from S. Thomas, Gurutalawa. There were a few who also joined our batch from other schools. He was fully involved in all the college and class group projects and was a very useful member of the Old Boys Association in which body he held many positions in committees. He was a live wire of The Thomian Freshmen of 59? Group. After leaving College, Dion joined Pure Beverages Co. Ltd. and thereafter, Carson Cumberbatch & Co, rising to be a main Board Director. Later, he became the Managing Director of CML-MTD. Dion was a man of integrity and honour and would get very affected emotionally if anyone engaged in acts of fraud or deceit. Dion was a former Captain and President of the Royal Colombo Golf Club (RCGC) and in May 2004, he was elected President of the Sri Lanka Golf Union (SLGU). Dion never turned down anyone who came to him for help.

He was large-hearted and magnanimous in his association with his friends. He has sponsored those classmates who were not doing too well and also financially supported their families whenever any of them died. What is noteworthy is that he insisted that his contributions and donations be kept anonymous. Such was the calibre of the man, a truly rare breed. He did not choose his friends to gain benefit from them but rather, to enjoy genuine friendship and fellowship. He was well-read, very knowledgeable and was able to engage in conversations of diverse subject areas. He was straight in all his dealings and was courageous to call a spade, a spade. What was best in him was that he emulated and brought to life, the poem ?IF? by Rudyard Kipling. Although we share a common surname we were not related in any way. However, I being the only child in my family saw Dion as my sincere brother who stood by me at all times. My wife and children considered Dion as a ?brother? to me and family member. He leaves behind his grieving wife Rouza, son Dimitri and daughter Nadeera. ?Age shall not weary him, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember him? The many meritorious acts Dion performed to make others happy and the most meaningful life he led setting an example to others, will certainly help him to shorten his journey through samsara and attain the supreme bliss of nirvana.

Dr Nalin N. P. Jayasuriya
[url]http://www.dailymirror.lk/news-features/Dion-Jayasuriya-Demise-of-a-thorough-gentleman-and-true-friend/131-202259[/url

Date: Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 5:09 AM
Subject: RE: Demise of a thorough gentleman and true friend (Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka), 22 Dec 2020, PageA5)
To:

Dear Nalin
Beautiful words for a dear Friend and batchmate of all of us . Sriyan and yourself have spoken and written for all us – Thankyou! Gents, Like cricket Team . the wickets are falling !My sympathies and prayers are with Dion’s family
-may Dion rest in peace with Gods Blessings.
Warm regards
Graham
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Date: Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 12:08 AM
Subject: Re: Dion Jayasuriya Demise of a thorough gentleman and true friend
To:

Dear Nalin,
N. D as we used to call him in school I must say My experience of his wonderful human qualities he possessed.It was the year 2004 when I was chaired the Thomian Dinner Dance Committee In I visited Dion in his office and he immediately asked me what can I do as the last days before the Dance and I told I have a ticket book still not sold and He told me that he will sponsor all the tickets and for me to give classmates who are helping college and Staff members like late J B pieris, Ajith Gunewardhena and for me also to identify some and give the tickets.It was a wonderful gesture and the Thomian Nite Dinner Dance held in the Hilton was a great success and I remember Nalin you were also there.It’s very sad news but this is life and I am sure Tissa Jayasinghe would be very sad as I have met them together sometimes in the Golf club.
May I wish Dion the supreme bliss of Nirvana and my condolences to his Family
Neomal 'ric De Alwis ( N. E)

Sent from my iPhone

Date: Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 12:57 AM
Subject: Re: Dion Jayasuriya Demise of a thorough gentleman and true friend
To:

Dear Sriyan ,
This article you sent me , has much extracted from your appreciation circulated , without a footnote , extracted and edited from the article by Sriyan Jayasekera" .That is the common courtesy given to an original article being copied , even if thousands knew those points .Dion deserves hundreds of ORIGINAL articles , as per the close association he had with many .I assisted him as a Five star Hotel Consultant at select Board meetings and site visits for his Hotel project in Colombo without charging a cent in the recent past .I refused to accept even transport reimbursement or Board Meeting fees for which he was very thankful at all times .When he solicited my patronage , I even bought a three bed room Apt from his Galle Apt Project , when it was slow moving , facing financial constraints .I have not used it to date , which is almost 06 years now ~ good deeds are best .
May genial Dion attain Nibbhana , ending his sojourn in Samsara